Sunday, April 6, 2008

Mashups



Well here goes, I hope that this works as it has taken a long time to create the insert and I have probably signed my life away on Flickr etc, etc.



Wow! It has appeared. I am so relieved. I really enjoyed looking at big huge labs and I have just worked out how to make this link. I saw it in another blog and wondered how they did it- remembered seeing an icon somewhere that said link (and gee, just up on the icon bar as it turns out) and have now made the link.


I also did some prototype magazine covers and movie posters and it prompts my comment - how on earth as a Library will we keep up with vanity and other online publishing by individuals. There is just so much out there and it will be hard to know how to select content for inclusion by links and inlcusion by copying to our, or a national, server. Someone just fooling around today could be the genius of the future and the danger is that while so much information will be kept a huge amount will just be overwritten, lost, and/or deleted.


Part of my thinking on this has come from a very recent experience. I was going out to dinner and wanted to see the menu before going. I checked the website and my eye was drawn to the bottom of the page where the phrase Book of Sand by Daniel Blinkhorn had a live link.

So I went and had a look at the link found absolutely amazing site - have a look. This is a real expert and is decribed in his bio as a composer and digital media artist. So I went across and checked the SLNSW catalogue to see if he was listed - and he was not. Nor was he listed in Libraries Australia. Some info can be found via the Internet but here we have a person who is obviously a gifted composer and we have not linked to his data via out catalgoue ... and he was born in the blue Mtns in 1973. Well, enough of that - I am sure that you get the point.

No comments: